httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <>
Subject RE: Apache in LanTimes
Date Mon, 02 Mar 1998 21:36:35 GMT
On Saturday, February 28, 1998 11:33 AM, Ben Laurie []
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >

> > Maybe add it to In The News?
> >
> > Boy, I love Zona... Are they dense or just sly-as-a-fox?
> This stuff kills me:
> '"One thing about free Web servers is that you don't get a lot of
> support with them; you do not have a lot of upgradeability; and
> sometimes function lags a little bit behind the commercial products,"
> said Steve Lopez, director of systems and technology at the National
> Board of Medical Exam-iners in Philadelphia. "And because the commercial
> ones have always been inexpensive enough, we have never really explored
> free Web servers."'
> Translation:
> "I know shit about Apache, but believe me, I don't need to".

I'd guess that the director of technology at the National Board of
Medical Examiners knows shit about web servers in general. Most of
the folks at that level know alot of politics and free servers aren't
correct. After all, if something happens, who ya gonna blame??

> '"The model doesn't work for most companies," said Clay Ryder, an
> analyst at Zona Research Inc. in Redwood City, Calif. "E-mail lists
> aren't good enough. Nobody can come out to the site and fix a problem on
> four hours' notice."'
> Errr right. And MS/Netscape can? We're lucky if they can fix a problem
> on four MONTHs notice! Besides which, of course, if you want four hour
> notice for Apache, there's any number of people that'll sell it to you.

If you're Zona Research, yea you *can* get someone out on 4 hours notice,
since MS/NS realise (if they aren't playing you directly) that your "report"
can make or break a product to the "director of technology" types.

Of course, being fair and honest isn't what they are paid for, either.

> 'Zona's Ryder agreed. "It's not the technical availability of a solution
> that drives business; it's the size of a vendor, its sales force, its R
> & D, its tech support, [and] its marketing. Apache is not going to
> supplant Netscape or Microsoft because it is facing large, well-funded
> competition."'
> Get a life, Ryder! We don't need to supplant them coz we _already have_.

Not in the hearts and minds of the directors of technology, you haven't.
They are the ones that MS wines and dines because they will "mandate MS
products across the board" for their companies. Of course, in the trenches,
they may find that half their corporate web site is really running on Apache.

> 'But Apache users are typically more technical and don't necessarily
> require one.'
> Hmmm ... so we've got the technical half of the Internet, have we? In
> other words, MS/NS are chosen by people who are not technically
> competent to make the choice? And that's supposed to be good?

One word: Windows

> Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686|Apache Group member

David D'Antonio CNE -
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell
  Some they will and some they won't and some it's just as well

View raw message