httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Robb <sr...@wisewire.com>
Subject RE: the C++ disaster (was Re: Source code - optimised assembler)
Date Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:31:18 GMT
> If _a_ piece of code is cross platform, that means that it is
> essentially the same on all platforms.

Not my understanding - that's portable.  "Cross-platform",
at least the way I've seen it, means "significant enough
differences between platforms that we've had to make
special effort to get it to run on each."

Java bytecode and well-written C source code are portable;
the Rogue Wave Threads.h++ and similar libraries are cross-
platform.

Of course, the whole issue could be resolved by asking what
"cross-platform" meant in the original message.  I'd be
interested in a more detailed example of the problems with
portable C/C++ code, in any case.

Just my two cents.

- Samrobb (srobb@wisewire.com)
- WiseWire Corporation - The Content Agent Company (SM)
- http://www.wisewire.com
- http://www.lycos.com/webguides/webguides.html

The box said 'Requires Windows 95, or better.' So I bought a Macintosh.