httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Eilebrecht <Lars.Eilebre...@unix-ag.org>
Subject mod_rewrite (was Re: 1.2.6)
Date Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:42:27 GMT
According to Dean Gaudet:

>  Yuck, I wasn't even aware of this brokenness in mod_userdir.  I personally
>  wish we'd just dropped mod_userdir et al for mod_rewrite ages ago.  But
>  whatever.  I'll go put a bandaid on it.

Is there a reason why mod_userdir and mod_alias are still in use?
mod_rewrite can easily replace both modules and writing some
wrapper functions to provide backward compatibility to the userdir
and alias directives shouldn't be a problem. In fact Ralf demonstrated
that this is possible some time ago with his mod_rewrite_compat module...

If this is done for 2.0 it maybe a reasonable idea to just drop
mod_alias/mod_userdir and its directives.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                        - Reality is only a simulation...
sfx@unix-ag.org                        - and it's still in beta testing.