httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 12 Feb 1998 05:08:19 GMT
>   Following this argument, it's bad to make use of C
> "features" (pointers, pointers to functions, structures)
> to implement an API you want to make available "to all
> languages".  Yet that's just what the current API does,
> and BASIC users be damned! :-)
>
>   Making use of some of the features of C++ to make
> development, maintenance and porting Apache easier, in my
> mind, is reason enough to at least see if Apache++ can
> perform on the same level as Apache. If it can, then making
> use of the features of C++ is no different than using the
> features of of C.

There is a slight difference here.  There are existing modules written in
C.  If the Apache API moves to a point where a module must be compiled
with a C++ compiler, we could be orphaning some useful modules.  I am
completely in favour of a move towards C++ for the core of Apache.  It
will solve a lot of problems, especially when it comes to multi-threading
issues, but it should be possible to present a generic C API to module
authors.

-Rasmus