httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:29:11 GMT
> When autoconf works, it does great; when it doesn't it's a major pain.
>
> As an example, php3 uses autoconf. For reasons, I prefer php3 NOT
> use GD and GDBM. However, what I must do is let ./configure do it's
> work and then hand edit stuff to remove all traces of gdbm and
> libgd in various places. Ugg. Not only that, but the command line
> to run configure for my setup is ugly:

That is simply a deficiency in my ability to write a configure.in
template.  In the case of GD, I could have made it optional, but it is so
small, and I figured I would just let it be transparent.  If it finds it
out there, it adds support for it.  The GDBM case is something I should
work on though.

> CC='gcc -D_POSIX_SOURCE' LIBS='-lposix -lbsd' ./configure \
>    --with-apache=/staff/jim/src/CVS/apache-1.3/ \
>    --with-config-file-path=/usr/local/apache/conf \
>    --with-exec-dir=/usr/local/apache/php-bin \
>    --enable-debug=no --enable-safe-mode=yes \
>    --with-system-regex --disable-debug
>
> This is easier?? :) :)

Hey, there is an online interface to help you build that.  See:

    http://il.php.net/config.php3

There is also a question/answer type of front-end for it.  See the 'setup'
script.

And lastly, once you have done it once, simply run ./config.status for all
subsequent compiles.

-Rasmus