httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_main.c http_protocol.c
Date Mon, 09 Feb 1998 00:50:29 GMT
On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >And I still completely disagree with both you and Chuck, who are the only
> >two complaining about this... and neither of you have to take the time to
> >tell users "no ignore that stupid warning" when they open PRs about it.
>
> That has already been fixed in 1.3b -- warnings are not printed by default.
> The users that are complaining are still using 1.2.

Oh give me a break, so many things are turned off by raising the LogLevel
that this is running blind.  In fact the whole LogLevel thing still hasn't
been cleaned up imho -- we get worse reports from default 1.3 than we did
from 1.2.  "worse" in the sense that a lot of useful information is just
not logged.

> >This warning/notice/whatever is useless.  It diagnoses a normal situation.
>
> There is nothing normal about failure to deliver content.  The warning
> is necessary for sites with audited access files and any server placed
> in an environment where "browsing" is not the norm.  That is why it
> is a warning and not an error.

"audited access files" ?  If anything the error logs are not audited, and
this is already represented in the access_log by a lower bytes_sent.  I
don't buy any of this argument.

Dean