httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: future plans
Date Thu, 05 Feb 1998 20:13:14 GMT
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Unfortunately, I find it hard to get motivated about API redesign since
> this group consistently rejects the only _sensible_ way forward (i.e.
> C++), on grounds that are becoming increasingly shaky. I do sympathize
> with those who don't yet know C++ well (or at all) but hell, guys,
> you've got to start somewhere, right?

If we can maintain the mentality that "lean is good", which means that C++
weenies do not get to link in 5 zillion class libraries just because they
don't want to code up a linked list or some other silliness like that. I'm
not going to be happy with an apache that's twice its current size.  (This
is where theory and reality collide -- small == less instruction cache
footprint == faster.)

And we can avoid the really broken "features" of C++, like operator
overloading (yeah sure, theoretically a cool thing, but try debugging a
program that (ab)uses this "feature").

And we can be happy that we're not losing platforms that we care about.
(In order to decide this we have to decide what intersection of "features"
we're going to use.)

Then I'm +0 on using C++.

Dean