httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apache-2.0 now clean
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:09:27 GMT

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> should be done in 2.0.  Alexei and Marc think we only need some API
> changes and buff code, but that's because they haven't spent the past
> few years delaying HTTP fixes until a core rewrite can be done.

Oh in this area... when I wrote mod_mmap_static the other day I began
thinking about how hard it is to separate the object store from how Apache
currently perceives the world.  It's really convinced that everything is a
file, and won't believe you otherwise.  It's hard to convince it otherwise
in the current API... I tried.

But what does the core need from the filesystem?  It needs the
last-modified date, the content-length, and an API to fetch bytes from the
file... that's it I'm pretty sure.

Now where I'm hung up on this still is where to put these parts of the
abstraction.

The applications of this are obvious:  caching modules, database object
store modules, and even proxy modules.

> Dean has a good plan for core process model abstraction, but no time to
> implement it; if he could just commit the design NOW so that we can all
> play with it, maybe one of the newbies will step forward and start
> turning it into a reality.

Committed.

Dean