httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 02:02:43 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Cristian Gafton wrote:

> And I want something like this in the standard distribution, enable by
> uncomenting DYNAMIC_MODULES=1 in the Configuration file. Does that sounds
> reasonable ?

Have you looked at 1.3 yet?  Isn't all this code in there?  Or am I
smoking crack and it was part of a big patch from Sameer last november
which never got put into the server and which should have?  Ah yes now I
see, it's part of sameer's dynamic patch.

Ok, so without sameer's patch (or other changes to the core), right now
you can do this:

- write your own mod_dynamic_whatever or steal one

- build a Configuration with that module in it, and none of the others

- somehow (you're the one doing the distribution) build the rest of the
modules as shared modules

Have a config file that includes a directive like:

LoadDynamicModules /wherever

right at the top.  Then it's your module's job to clear the static module
list (woo big list, it just has your module in it), and add in all the
rest.

This is all possible now.  Without changing a single line of code in the
core.

It would be really nice if this were supported directly by us.  But
there's still no compelling reason to change anything in the core, all
that's needed is Sameer's module and the extra rules he built into
Configure for building shared modules.

Dean