httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:34:19 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > Yes this is a great thing, but autoconf is orthogonal to this problem.
> > You essentially just need dynamic loading.
>
> Yes, modules.c not being created automatically by Configure script. Just a
> generic init function that will look for modules and load them.

This is a dynamic only solution.  We can't drop static support.

If you're building a dynamic only server then you don't need to list any
modules in Configuration... and I'm confused how autoconf helps this at
all because as you said, for the 90% case only one build is done, and
you're the one doing it (ok you or someone else at redhat).

> > kernel for distribution you're stuck building new iBCS, new pcmcia-cs, and
> > whatever other addons you build.
>
> That is not necessarily true. We rebuild thos packages only because they
> are in fact sub-packages of the kernel RPM, so each time we generate a new
> kernel RPM we will generate those sub-packages anyway. But the Linux
> kernel modules are supposed to work.... <this is off-topic>

"supposed to work" is the operative phrase though... it's the same with
apache... modules should work, unless we change MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER. Which
we don't tend to do in the stable tree, for obvious reasons.

Dean