httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:57:47 GMT

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > *everywhere* (i.e. never) we have to support the configuration file... and
> > even if we could do dynamic loading everywhere, I wouldn't be using it on
> > a performance critical server.
>
> Wait a minute... WHY ?! Why can't you use the dynamic loadable modules on
> a performance critical server ? It's the same thing as having apache
> linked dynamically against libc... Are you saying that this will slow
> things down ?

Yes.  If you read the perf-tuning docs you'll see that Apache reserves
extra memory for dynamic loading, you can save a nice hunk of memory by
disabling that (how much depends on your config).  Furthermore when I
build a performance critical server I tune a lot of *compile-time-only*
configurables.  So it's nothing much to link in exactly the modules the
server will run.

> Try to look at this from a distribution maintainer point of view. We'd
> like to be able to ship aoache modules for Red Hat systems to include
> postgres support, other cool stuff, without having to rebuild the apache
> binary package every time... It is not only cool, buty it will make apache
> easy to deploy on a lot of other cases (think about products like miniSQL,
> mySQL, Solid server, etc, shipping their version of apache module and all
> you have to do is to stick it into a directory and apache will start using
> it..)

Yes this is a great thing, but autoconf is orthogonal to this problem.
You essentially just need dynamic loading.  If you need more than that
then we've messed up... but I don't think we're any worse at dynamic
kernel for distribution you're stuck building new iBCS, new pcmcia-cs, and
whatever other addons you build.  Apache is pretty similar this way, if
there's been a MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER increase.

> > have the issue of translating all of the apache architecture names to the
> > equivalent autoconf names and then debugging the entire mess.  Not a small
> > job.
>
> Any volunteers ? :-) I am one.

Prepare yourself for lots of discussion! :)

Dean