httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:33:29 GMT
[not sure if you're on new-httpd]

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > If it's an issue of apache 1.2 and -lcrypt on redhat 5.0... that's fixed
> > in 1.3 already (and can't easily be fixed in 1.2 without adding a lot of
> > features).  What other issues with 1.3 are there that would require
> > autoconf?
>
> It's not only the -lcrypt issue. What about the ability to configure your
> software without having to edit some configuration file ? Something like:
>
> 	./configure --prefix=/usr --httpd-home=/home/httpd \
> 		--exclude-modules=mod-XX1,mod-XX2

That seems far less handy than editing the Configuration file imho.  I
always forget the parameters I use for ./configure... yes I know they're
stowed away in config.status, but I find it hard to hang onto
config.status files for some reason.  Apache has far more options than
your usual ./configured program.  Until we can do dynamic loading
*everywhere* (i.e. never) we have to support the configuration file... and
even if we could do dynamic loading everywhere, I wouldn't be using it on
a performance critical server.

We provide reasonable defaults in Configuration.  ./Configure from a
freshly unpacked apache should provide a working program on most systems.
The exceptions are those that vary greatly from one distribution to
another (i.e. linux)... and that I've tried to deal with in 1.3.

> > various bugs in various versions of various operating systems.  These are
> > bugs that we can *not* write a simple sh test for, they're bugs which show
> > up under heavy http loads with non-local clients for example.
>
> I am sure that you are aware that you can handle different architectures
> separately on a case-by-case basis using autoconf as well as standard
> Makefiles...

Yeah like I said, the cygnus guys I talked to mentioned this.  Now we only
have the issue of translating all of the apache architecture names to the
equivalent autoconf names and then debugging the entire mess.  Not a small
job.

Dean