httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 20:13:00 GMT

> At 02:23 PM 2/2/98 -0500, Cristian Gafton wrote:
> >Also, are you aware of any work in progress to make apache 1.3 use the GNU
> >autoconf program (lower priority, but still doable and cool)

If it's an issue of apache 1.2 and -lcrypt on redhat 5.0... that's fixed
in 1.3 already (and can't easily be fixed in 1.2 without adding a lot of
features).  What other issues with 1.3 are there that would require
autoconf?

As Brian mentioned we've had a lot of discussions about this... and ages
ago it did not make sense to use autoconf.  But I've since talked with a
few of the cygnus folks and their opinion (albeit biased of course) is
that recent autoconf addresses all of our old concerns.  In particular, we
support platforms which don't have sh (or are otherwise unable to
successfully run configure); and our configuration files know about
various bugs in various versions of various operating systems.  These are
bugs that we can *not* write a simple sh test for, they're bugs which show
up under heavy http loads with non-local clients for example.

Personally I'd prefer autoconf though.

Dean