httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@awe.com>
Subject Re: mod_so committed (was Re: apache/linux modules)
Date Wed, 04 Feb 1998 10:33:05 GMT
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> Yeah. As I see it, there are several ways to do this:
>
> 1. deduce the structure name from the filename
> 2. rename the structure to be the same on all shared modules
> 3. some sort of meta-information, e.g. a seperate file.

or

  4. add a known entry point function with the same name in every module
     which returns (a pointer to) the module's structure.

Option 1 is good for backward compatability. Unfortunately there are a few
modules which don't quite follow the de facto "rules"... (e.g. mod_include
=> includes_module). Doh. My Configure stuff gets round this by grepping
the source for the module structure definition line :-).

> The third option strikes me as undesired, especially if we want to enable
> a "drop a module in a directory to add it to Apache" mode, since that
> would involve additional files.

Agreed.

//pcs