httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Wed, 04 Feb 1998 02:38:57 GMT
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Remember, Cristian, this is free software.

Yeah, I am dealing with free software the whole day :-) I thought I was up
to some religious wars, but it  turned out that I was knocked down...

And as with any flame wars, it this autoconf debate will degenerate into
an OS war if you - the apache project members - don't take a vote and
settle this for good.

There have been arguments for both autoconf features and current
Configure. There are people defending Congigure desperately, because it is
their little ugly-script baby. There are people backing up autoconf for
it's elegance and easy of use, for numerous cases where it proved to be
time-saving and easy to adapt to major changes within a large project.

We've heard all of those. My current impression is that everybody speaks
up and nobody hears what others have to say regarding this issue.

I personally don't kid myself - switching to autoconf can be a real
nightmare if a project was not started with autoconf in mind. It is a hard
job and can make some people pull their hair out trying to figure how to
deal with some things. For some is a matter of a technical challenge. For
others is a matter of shipping elegant code. Those backing up Configure
are doing oposition no matter what, because it is hard to drop a piece of
their work and start over again using someone else's tools. I have done
it, I know how it feels like. (please don't ship me the thing about "we
care about you and about that fact that if you start working on autoconf
you will run into problems" - I personally don't buy it)

> Until now, of course, so I think
> your participation in all this is pretty cool.  Despite having spawned the
> most voluminous thread in recent memory.  :)

Thanks, sorry about the thread. I was just shocked about the fact that
from all big free projects out there, apache is resisting autoconf like no
one else... :-)

Best wishes,

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.