httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@awe.com>
Subject mod_so committed (was Re: apache/linux modules)
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 11:00:06 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> It would be really nice if this were supported directly by us.  But
> there's still no compelling reason to change anything in the core, all
> that's needed is Sameer's module and the extra rules he built into
> Configure for building shared modules.

Right, I've committed Sameer's mod_so and my SharedModule compilation
command, so people can start using shared modules. We really should try
and get this useable for 1.3, since I think it will encourage a lot of
third-partly module development. At the very least it should and new, even
easier compilation models for big modules such as php3.

Some things that would be nice are:

  - support for more than Linux & FreeBSD. This should be a simple case of
    adding the correct values for CFLAGS_SHLIB, LDFLAGS_SHLIB and
    LDFLAGS_SHLIB_EXPORT in Configuration (see the Linux section for
    examples)

  - not requiring people to add -ldl to EXTRA_LIBS, if necessary on their
    OS (another Configuration variable, maybe?)

  - not requiring the module structure name on the LoadModule directive
    (we got rid of this from Configuration by changing Module to AddModule
    and allowing for .module or embedded configurations in module source.
    something similar to LoadModule would be good)

  - auto load multiple modules from a directory

  - a test suite to test whether things are actually working as expected
    ;-)

  - extensive documentation to persuad third-party module authors that
    they can create binary modules for Apache and give their users really
    easy configuration instructions (a la: "drop mod_goodstuff.so into
    httpd/modules and reload your server")

  - support for dropping modules & reloading during a restart

  - trashing mod_dld.c

//pcs