httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:36:22 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> That actually requires some changes to the Apache API - we can't load a
> module unless we know the name of its module record symbol (e.g.
> "includes_module"). We could try to guess it from the name of the file, I
> guess, like we do for Configuration.

Now this is a development thread :-)

I propose to have the modules shared objects named like mod-NAME.so. Each
module exports a symbol (struct module) named "module". We load all the
.so files and try to resolve in each module the "module" symbol. We then
fill in the preloaded_modules and prelinked_modules arrays with relevant
information and proceed further.

We could have the modules ecport a version symbol ("mod_version") and try
to dlsym() that symbol also and compare it with the current server version
to be sure that the module was compiled for this version of apache.

> I support sticking Sameer's module in the standard distribution. That
> sounds good to me.

That would be a definite step forward in this direction.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.