httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:21:40 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > This turns into a religiuos war. You defend your point at any price, no
> > matter what, aren't you ?
>
> Unlike you?

Yes, unlike me, I am quitting this discussion. I am too a very big fan of
the "if ain't broke don't fix it" approach. I just hoped that given the
fact that currently there is a development cycle going on somebody might
listen. But  it is obvious that this issue was debated to death on this
mailing list and there were no conclusions in the end.

And the whole dispute went from using another configuration path, more
widely used in the unix world to things like switching to GPL, using too
much of the FSF things, etc.

> If you have to edit anything other than Configuration then you're doing
> something wrong or we've got a bug in our code.  Please show an example of
> where you need to edit something other than Configuration.

- Patching httpd.h to accomodate the Linux File System standard
(installing by default in the /usr/local is broken, having apache look by
default in /usr/local/etc is also broken)
- Patching Makefile to accomodate different compiler args on Alpha, Sparc
and Intel

So, "I am in" for using Configure.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.