httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 01:37:07 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> The Configuration file can have a lot more docs than --help.

That is no use to me as a distribution maintainer. 90% of the users are
using binary distributions and don't bother to see how apache is compiled.

Having more documentation does not help me at all. Moreover, having to
have different distribution-specific patches for different platforms
(alpha, sparc, intel) and maintaining those patches is kind of a pain.
Having the possibility to run the same ./configure command line when
building the package will be a very nice thing.

> Saving the command line != making it easy to reuse it and see what it is
> doing.

Agree. I didn't say that we could not still have the old Configure, but
that will have to be upgraded to use autoconf naming style.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.