httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 01:07:44 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> No, you're not.  You can only AddModule modules that were included
> at compile-time.  But you can disable the ones that were included
> that you don't want activated with this method.

How about 'I don't want no stinkin' modules eating my memory' disabling
facility ? I.e. don't load them at all ?

> you're using) is strictly a RedHat solution.  Other distributors

NO. A solution for systems (modern systems) that support dynamic loading
of shared objects. It is a very normal thing to do.

> not necessarily better.  Is the potential return from a successful
> experiment worth the investment?

I'm betting a beer on this one.

> run-time.  It requires a change to the run-time configuration files.
> Which is certainly simpler than a recompilation - but TANSTAAFL.

And I want something like this in the standard distribution, enable by
uncomenting DYNAMIC_MODULES=1 in the Configuration file. Does that sounds
reasonable ?

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.