httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 23:20:16 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Um.  So you either have to move/copy the modules that you do want loaded
> to a particular directory so the server will find them - or else remove
> the ones you *don't* want so the server *won't* find them.  Either I'm
> missing something (probable) or else this is even more complex and problem-
> prone than the current "vi Configuration ; ./Configure ; make" arrangement.

You're missing the most important fact: you _are_ a hacker and you keep
the source for the apache server around. What if the complete newbie wants
to install a mySQL database and have an apache module provide
authetication to that database ? Do _you_ have time to explain to him how
to re-compile, how to edit a config file, etc ? He is using a binary
dostribution, and he doesn't want to play this game !

You miss something: you forget to ask youself how many of the over 50% of
the webmasters of the sites running Apache in the world are like you,
poking at the source, and how many are using binary packages already
provided by some vendors.

And I am talling you that is a whole lot easier to write a config tool
that will make some links in a directory so that apache will load new
modules than to write a config tool that will recompile apache every
time... What if he doesn't have a compiler installed, just because that is
a web server, not a development machine ?

I understand you point, but please do not discard mine - those aimed at
making distributions have to think about providing config tools to their
users - and currently the way apache have to be recompiled to modify it's
list of modules this is a very hard to do thing.

BTW: why the heck are they called "modules" ? Because you can compile them
in or not compile them in ? That is not the "definition" of the modules as
I understand it. And in most other cases when it is a talk about modules
this is not the sense most people understand it.

Best wishes,

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.