httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:34:07 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> This is a dynamic only solution.  We can't drop static support.

Correct. I am saying that we shopuld have a way to do dynamic only stuff.

> If you're building a dynamic only server then you don't need to list any
> modules in Configuration...

Well, you will list the modules you want to compile, so that some
makefiles will be generated :-)

> and I'm confused how autoconf helps this at
> all because as you said, for the 90% case only one build is done, and
> you're the one doing it (ok you or someone else at redhat).

Hmm ... my error, I was talking about two different things: having apache
support modules as shared libraries and load them on start time and having
support for autoconf. The later is a longer and bigger project, while the
shared stuff is amazingly simple to adopt (at least for linux platforms,
but I am sure that with minor tweaks we will have more platforms support)

Eventually, when autoconf thing will merge in, the whole dynamic stuff
will be just an --with-dynamic-modules flag :-)

> "supposed to work" is the operative phrase though... it's the same with
> apache... modules should work, unless we change MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER. Which

No, it is difefrent. Apache loading it's modules at start time is not
supposed to work because the code is not in there :-)

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.