httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:01:13 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Yes.  If you read the perf-tuning docs you'll see that Apache reserves
> extra memory for dynamic loading, you can save a nice hunk of memory by

I won't use thatextra memory... I have told you what I was thinking of:
	- when the apache starts, build a list of modules available in a
directory, dlopen() and build the arrays build by the Configure script in
the modules.c file. By the time apache really starts the modules are
loaded. Being shared objects, the impact on memory consumption is minimal,
if any.

> build a performance critical server I tune a lot of *compile-time-only*
> configurables.  So it's nothing much to link in exactly the modules the
> server will run.

Again, I am talking about the 90% of the market of the apache: the web
server run by some joe user that hardly takes few K hits per day. If you
have 1 milion hits per day, you will be able to find somebody to take care
of the fine tuning of the apache for you, and then our work for a
distribution will be pointless in that case anyway.

> Yes this is a great thing, but autoconf is orthogonal to this problem.
> You essentially just need dynamic loading.

Yes, modules.c not being created automatically by Configure script. Just a
generic init function that will look for modules and load them.

> kernel for distribution you're stuck building new iBCS, new pcmcia-cs, and
> whatever other addons you build.

That is not necessarily true. We rebuild thos packages only because they
are in fact sub-packages of the kernel RPM, so each time we generate a new
kernel RPM we will generate those sub-packages anyway. But the Linux
kernel modules are supposed to work.... <this is off-topic>

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.