httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cristian Gafton <gaf...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 20:59:06 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> There is definitely some interest in doing that, but we are trying to close
> up 1.3 so I don't know if it can make it in.  I would advocate you (or
> someone) from redhat join the developer's list (majordomo@apache.org,
> subscribe new-httpd, they're also cc'd on this response) and present the
> patches.

I subscribed to the list, thanks. I will try to catch up about past
discussions on the list from the archives (if there are any - still
waiting for majordomo's response) then I'll jump into the fire... :-)

The modifications to the module handling problem are quite simple:
	- we build modules as shared libraries
	- the apache server will start dlopen()-ing all the mod-XXX.so
files found in a certain directory on startup and resolve the module entry
structure using dlsym()
	- after all the modules are loaded we build the
prelinked_modules and preloaded_modules arrays (used to be built by
Configure in modules.c)
	- everything will proceed normally from that point on.

Optionally, we can have the modules named mod-XXX.so.1.2.5 with a link
named mod-XXX.so to them. This way, if we need to stop apache from loading
a module we remove the .so link from the modules directory
(eg /usr/lib/apache)

I have a patch for 1.2.5 and I am trying to adapt it to 1.3 series.

> was suddenly an issue (such as the whole serialized-accept bizness) which
> we needed to address per platform.  If you have experience with this and

As long as you can build a test case in what you are interested, the
autoconf will handle it...

Thanks for your time,

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.