httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: what is server side javascript?
Date Thu, 26 Feb 1998 05:25:05 GMT
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

Server side javascript is just what it sounds like; JavaScript on the
server side. It's supported by some of the Netscape servers, I think. I
think it's sort of like writing ASP with JScript as the script engine
instead of Visual Basic (which ASP lets you do). But I might be wrong.

> and what is the difference between server side java, server side
> javascript and java servlets?

Server side java is any sort of Java used on the server side, generally.
As a web server, as a CGI, as whatever. Server side JavaScript has the
same relationship to server side Java that client side JavaScript has with
client side Java - i.e., they both have the letters j, a, v and a
in the name.

Java servlets are Java classes that extend the javax.servlet.Servlet
class. Sun defines a common API for them that allows these Java classes to
be loaded on a variety of servers; they essentially act in the same role
as CGI scripts or ISAPI extensions. For a given URI, they can return

Of course, I may be wrong, but that's what I seem to recall.

-- Alexei Kosut <> <>
   Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <> *

View raw message