httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: absoluteURIs suck
Date Sat, 21 Feb 1998 18:10:57 GMT
On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> That doesn't avoid request loops.  That avoids self-loops, which
> would be a reasonable requirement of any quality implementation.
> A proxy has to do DNS lookups anyhow, so it doesn't bother me that
> this requirement absolutely requires DNS to be implemented properly.
> But it certainly doesn't avoid loops.  Nothing in the standard enforces
> proxy loop avoidance.  Max-Forwards can't do it either, section 14.31:

Unless the sleep debt has been getting to me, proxy loop avoidance is
one of the many magical uses of the Via header. From section 14.44 of RFC
2068: "The Via general-header field MUST be used by gateways and
proxies... and is intended to be used for... avoiding request loops."

Looks like it would work fine to me.