httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: mod_so committed (was Re: apache/linux modules)
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 22:00:36 GMT
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Some things that would be nice are:
>
>   - support for more than Linux & FreeBSD. This should be a simple case of
>     adding the correct values for CFLAGS_SHLIB, LDFLAGS_SHLIB and
>     LDFLAGS_SHLIB_EXPORT in Configuration (see the Linux section for
>     examples)

I heard somewhere that some program called autoconf was good at this.
Never heard of it, personally :)

>   - not requiring the module structure name on the LoadModule directive
>     (we got rid of this from Configuration by changing Module to AddModule
>     and allowing for .module or embedded configurations in module source.
>     something similar to LoadModule would be good)

Yeah. As I see it, there are several ways to do this:

1. deduce the structure name from the filename
2. rename the structure to be the same on all shared modules
3. some sort of meta-information, e.g. a seperate file.

The third option strikes me as undesired, especially if we want to enable
a "drop a module in a directory to add it to Apache" mode, since that
would involve additional files.

[...]

>   - a test suite to test whether things are actually working as expected
>     ;-)

Who needs test suites? We all write perfect code... :)