httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject RE: Can't handle both "Accept-Encoding: gzip" and "Accept-Encoding: x-gzip" (fwd)
Date Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:17:41 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:33:18 -0700 (MST)
From: Paul Ginsparg  505-667-7353 <ginsparg@qfwfq.lanl.gov>
To: Ronald.Tschalaer@psi.ch
Subject: RE: Can't handle both "Accept-Encoding: gzip" and "Accept-Encoding: x-gzip"

> Note that this patch will cause *all* x-YYY tokens to be treated as YYY.
> However, I dont' think this is a problem. In fact, one could probably
> consider it a feature, since now no changes to any server code are required
> when an x-YYY token is officially adopted as YYY.

when we used the 8 Feb version of apache, we were instantly hit by many bug
reports from people using older browsers (mosaic for vms, netscape 2, ...)
which could suddenly no longer download successfully the ps.gz files since
they were receiving a Content-Encoding: gzip .
we were forced to revert to an earlier version of httpd.
it seems the default you've chosen for browsers that send *no* Accept-Encoding:
is to override our configuration setting
AddEncoding x-gzip gz
and send instead Content-Encoding: gzip .

this desperately needs to be repaired in the latest 1.3b4-dev

pg