httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: how the heck do you set content-length on printenv?
Date Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:42:04 GMT
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > > Just allocate a chunk of memory and write into it until you know how big
> > > it is.  If your preallocation is too small just allocate more, and more
> > > and more.
> >
> > That isn't the real problem.  I have a decent bound on the size of output,
> > but since I have to include the content-length in that output and the size
> > of the output depends on the content-length...
>
> Huh?  The http headers aren't considered part of the content-length...

Nono, my _body_ has it in.  ie. it is similar to printenv output.  Yes,
that is what ZD uses for their dynamic content test.  Dumb, but...

Now, they probably don't use persistent connections for that anyway since
most servers / modules won't do it but...

Of course, if they don't use persistent connections then you are hurting
yourself by adding a content-length bceause it adds more bytes of overhead
that aren't counted.  :(