httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject ...and one more: receive buffer
Date Mon, 16 Feb 1998 06:32:36 GMT
webbench docs say:

  We use a Receive Buffer Size of 4 KB so that it will fit within the
  majority of TCP/IP stacks' Receive Window setting. The TCP/IP Receive
  Window is the maximum amount of unacknowledged data that can exist at any
  time between a sender and a receiver. For most stacks the default TCP/IP
  Receive Window setting is 8 KB. When the Receive Buffer Size is larger
  than the TCP/IP Receive Window, performance degrades because more TCP/IP
  requests will be needed to transfer the data.

Huh?  I'm afraid I don't understand the reasoning.  "more TCP/IP requests
will be needed to transfer the data" if the receive buffer is larger
than the receive window?!?

Anyone?