httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: W3C <-> Apache
Date Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:13:02 GMT
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> At 12:57 2/10/98 -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> >On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >> That is why I am very concerned about the recent leaks of information onto
> >> this mailing list that I rightfully understand have made you upset. The
> >> information that I have seen go by did not represent HTTP-NG in a rightful
> >> way. I would be happy to help in any way that I can but it requires that
> >> somebody from the Apache group signs up to participate.
> >
> >While the gooals may be fine, the method has serious flaws from where I
> >sit.
>
> Marc,
>
> I suggest that instead of throwing a lot of big (and largely meaningless)
> words at each other, I think we should work on how to proceed. This
> requires, however, that we start using a more constructive tone instead of
> calling each other for shit heads.

I am not trying to insult anyone, but am simply saying how things look
from here and why I am unhappy with them.  If it did not come across
as intended, I apologize.  I am sometimes... erm... abrupt in words.

[...]
>      -	The Web Characterization Group analyses existing log files to
> 	find patterns and distributions (requires 50%)
>      -	The Protocol Design Group tries to design a protocol that can
> 	fulfill the needs put forward by the WCG (requires 50%)
>      -	The HTTP-NG Interest Group is for interested parties that
> 	don't have the time/resources to participate 50% but want
> 	to follow discussions on a mailing list. Of course, the
> 	level of influence is set accordingly.

I wasn't able to find any information about any of the above anywhere.
Could you give me a pointer to a URL where they are discussed?  In
particular, the HTTP-NG Interest Group and exactly what is required to
"join" and if it is possible to simply monitor what is going on to ensure
that the vision for HTTP-NG fits in with my vision for Apache.

My main interest in HTTP-NG is from the network viewpoint and ensuring
that the appropriate issues are taken into consideration WRT network
traffic and interactions and also from the perspective of seeing just what
sort of idealogical view is required in a server to support it properly.
The fact that it is not yet beyond loose talk or whatever point it may be
at is irrelevant.  By the time it is, it will be too late for anything but
relatively minor corrections.