httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: HTTP-NG
Date Tue, 10 Feb 1998 05:51:01 GMT
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   I will definitely give some input and some feedback if asked for
> or if I detect an ongoing problem. I currently stick with 1.2.x,
> I don't expect to upgrade to 1.3 but definitely to 2.0. Good performances
> with a multiplexing protocol like MUX may be simplified with either
> fibers or threads (following the process-model terminology), but I don't
> think it's required (on Unix select() still rules !).

They aren't required (ie. a single-thread single-process thing like Zeus
could do it easily), but I don't see how you can do it cleanly with a
process per simultaneous request model like Apache currently is simply
because you have to have multiple requests being processed and sent at
approximately the same time.  You can't do that inside one process in
Apache right now, you don't want to pre-handle them sequentially then
buffer the whole thing, and you really don't want to use any form of IPC
because that sucks.