httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: yaDoS
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:03:36 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > > I suppose then we just trade local DoS for total DoS.  For example if we
> >
> > Exactly.  Going one step further, one user on a multiuser box can block
> > all others.
>
> What?  people on multiuser boxes access the web?  I didn't know that!

Yup.  People on multiuser NT boxes even, ie. a couple of dozen.  <g> But
we don't have to worry about them creating a denial of service attack,
since ... well... Netscape loves the busy wait thing.

Actually the above case is a good example of one case that is more likely
to cause problems than the typical proxy.  You have a lab. You have a
bunch of xterms or dumb NT terms running stuff on a single server.  You
have them all going to a web page for information for the class, etc.