httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: apache-2.0 now clean
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:07:09 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >Personally, I would rather have the "shared information space" be
> >apache-devsite rather than apache-2.0.  Really.  I don't like the
> >idea of cluttering the to-be development area with plans and
> >discussions.  We have an area for project plans and what-not;
> >let's use that.  Please.
>
> We want to open up the avail on the 2.0 repository so that more
> people can play even if they don't have write access to our other
> repositories.  The "plans" I am referring to will morph into the
> system design documentation for 2.0, and that had better damn well
> be in the code repository or it won't be used (just as the current
> "project plans" in devsite are never used).
>
> The only thing that has become obvious in all of these discussions
> is that we are worlds apart in each of our individual views of what
> should be done in 2.0.  Alexei and Marc think we only need some API
> changes and buff code, but that's because they haven't spent the past

Erm... no, I think nothing of the sort.

The core of the server is more than http_core.c, it mingles into some
modules (eg. mod_cgi) where it shouldn't.  However, there is an awful lot
of code (mainly modules) that simply doesn't need to be completely or even
have overly major changes, backwards compat for the API in some manner is
a good thing anyway, and most importantly it gives a tree that can be
compiled _somehow_ even if it doesn't work, doesn't compile completely,
etc.