httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_vhost.c
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 00:49:31 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com> wrote:
> > At 12:02 AM 2/3/98 +0100, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
> > >According to Dean Gaudet:

> > >BTW, Squid automatically removes and trailing dots.
> >
> > I fear a world where folks put multiple trailing dots in URL's thinking
> > they're a correct thing to do "because it works for me".
> >
> > I advocate returning an error if there's more than one trailing dot, say
> > 400 for bad request, with an explanation why.
>
> Now there is a briliant idea.. :-)
> Makes sense to me.

But multiple trailing '.'s may be valid.  I can't find anything that says
they are, and all I can find only talks about the single trailing .; since
after all, that is simply the root zone being added.  But... DNS RFCs are
... complex.

The error could even include a link to a guess (ie. strip the extra '.'s),
just not do it automagically.