httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:57:41 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Cristian Gafton wrote:
> >
> > Try to look at this from a distribution maintainer point of view. We'd
> > like to be able to ship aoache modules for Red Hat systems to include
> > postgres support, other cool stuff, without having to rebuild the apache
> > binary package every time... It is not only cool, buty it will make apache
> > easy to deploy on a lot of other cases (think about products like miniSQL,
> > mySQL, Solid server, etc, shipping their version of apache module and all
> > you have to do is to stick it into a directory and apache will start using
> > it..)
>
> Perhaps I'm speaking out of turn here, but it seems to me that
> RedHat does *not* have a very good record when it comes to shipping

The less changes required the better and the fewer chances for
problems.  If we can get some mutually acceptable way for doing
dynamic stuff, we not only get someone else who can work on it but
it is then in the base version of Apache.  It _is_ something useful
to support.

There _is_ active work required to add the module to the directory;
I'm not convinced that making them add a line to the conf file would
change anything.  You will still have people with problems that can't
figure out that it is because they changed this or that.