httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 21:19:04 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > If it's an issue of apache 1.2 and -lcrypt on redhat 5.0... that's fixed
> > in 1.3 already (and can't easily be fixed in 1.2 without adding a lot of
> > features).  What other issues with 1.3 are there that would require
> > autoconf?
>
> It's not only the -lcrypt issue. What about the ability to configure your
> software without having to edit some configuration file ? Something like:
>
> 	./configure --prefix=/usr --httpd-home=/home/httpd \
> 		--exclude-modules=mod-XX1,mod-XX2
>
> Wouldn't that be handy ? Instead of browsing through a config file and
> setting yourself compiler flags, library paths - you could have everything
> done for you by autoconf.

I hate software like that because it is a royal pain to keep track of
exactly how something is complied.  If I can't go back and do the same
thing I did before and get the same result, it is useless.  Yes, autoconf
does save that stuff and it is possible I just find it ugly...

A http_paths.h file or something that you could append any paths you want
to be non-default would be useful (ie. distributed empty) and would make
life easier in that respect, but it doesn't do everything.

Oh yea, while are are at it... _WHY_ are there so many reports of the
RedHat RPM of Apache 1.2.x not giving text/html to .htm files?  The base
version should...