httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Morris <>
Subject RE: the longest HTTP headers I have ever seen!
Date Sat, 14 Feb 1998 02:40:35 GMT
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, David D'Antonio wrote:

> On Friday, February 13, 1998 10:52 AM, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 12, 1998 at 03:33:23PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:

> > > Window-target: _top
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >   What's that supposed to be?

I've found two documents that describe this as an 'Optional HTTP Header',

"Implementing HTML Frames, W3C Working Draft 31-Mar-97",

Not sure whether this is really a part of HTTP, but it would seem to have
been implemented by Netscape at least.

Juding by the vintage of the documents, would it be an idea that was
floated for HTTP then dropped ?

> Seems like a very silly header!

I suspect it's used to try and force the page to load in the main window if
the user has arrived at the site from a page that wanted the new page to load
in a frame.  It might even be part of the effort to preempt Internet
'stealth marketing' for Olympic sites, where rival sponsors could play all
sorts of tricks with frames.

- James.
James Morris

View raw message