httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@bellglobal.com
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 17:31:27 GMT
> > If this isn't the dumbest hack of the century, I don't know what is.  But
> > I am certainly not going to try to maintain shared lib build info for
> > every platform out there.  In this case I am letting the Perl guys figure
> > it out.
>
> Who, by the way, aren't using autoconf :)

I am, but autoconf alone doesn't solve this.  You need automake and
libtool as well.  They all sort of mesh together to make up one mondo
configuration tool builder.  My mistake was that I went with just autoconf
from the start.  I should have had more foresight.

> And does someone know how the use of these autoconf tools affects
> _our_ license? I'd rather not have to worry about FSF thank you.

You can distribute autoconf generated configure scripts without any
problems.  From the autoconf documentation:

   There are no restrictions on how the configuration scripts that
 Autoconf produces may be distributed or used.  In Autoconf version 1,
 they were covered by the GNU General Public License.  We still
 encourage software authors to distribute their work under terms like
 those of the GPL, but doing so is not required to use Autoconf.

-Rasmus