httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com>
Subject RE: /dist in apache-site CVS tree?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 1998 20:43:48 GMT
On Monday, February 02, 1998 2:45 PM, Marc Slemko
[SMTP:marcs@worldgate.com] wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>

> > So a couple of the mirror sites want to use anoncvs or cvsup to
mirror the
> > repository rather than mirror.pl.  I'd really like this, too.  The
only
> > probably is that the most important directory, /dist, isn't in the
CVS
> > tree.  Obviously it would be a pain to keep old versions in the
history;
> > but is there a way to mark CVS files as "no-history" or something,
so that
> > we don't get bloat and can put /dist under CVS?
>
> Noooooooooooo.
>
> Oh, and you don't really want to use anoncvs.
>
> But you should be able to set cvsup to do it no problems.  You may
need to
> play with your cvsupd config file a bit, but it can handle non-RCS
files
> just fine... and it even does it reasonably well.  Heck, I should be
using
> it to pull the anoncvs repository instead of rsync (cvsup has the
rsync
> alg built in) but I didn't have the choice at the time...

client/server cvs is so easy for updating stuff on N platforms,
particularly
since it works on NT, that we use it in house in the manner the Brian is
asking
about.  For example to distribute the executables we want on all
developer PCs.
We have cronjobs (ha the spelling correcter suggests "corncobs" how did
it know that?)
that discard revisions from selected files so in the
places analogous to STATUS and dist we don't bother to keep any history.
this requires cvs admin, and  hacking your way into nostolga of RCS to
trim the versions,
it's all tediously rube goldberg.

I thought the anoncvs stuff all currently requires core access on
dev.apache.org?

    - ben