httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: [OFF TOPIC] more IIS tricks...
Date Fri, 27 Feb 1998 02:24:44 GMT
>An *ip only* vhost serves all requests that reach it.  You can send
>a request to www.arctic.org port 80, and say "Host: www.netscape.com"
>and it will happily serve www.arctic.org to you.  It damn well better:
>because I've told it to serve www.arctic.org to you.  But right now
>if you say "GET http://www.netscape.com/..."  what does Apache do?
>*A DNS LOOKUP*.  Denial of service.

We can fix that.

>Insert Dean's standard rant about how name vhosts are an inaccurate
>protocol.  Oh yeah, I meant to reply to Roy about this one.  Roy, even
>though I use www.chem.happy.edu vs. www.cs.happy.edu as an example
>my example works equally well with www.foobar.com and www.barfoo.com
>name-vhosted by an ISP -- if the folks at foobar.com put "http://www/"
>into their browser it won't work right.  This is why I think HTTP/1.1
>should contain a paragraph encouraging clients to send FQDNs.

It just doesn't matter.  If the folks at foobar.com put "http://www/"
into their browser, I don't give a rat's ass as to whether it will
work right, at random, or not at all.  There is absolutely no reason
for the protocol to unambiguously handle ambiguous requests, period.
The fact that an insignificant case such as this one won't always
give an "accurate" result does not change the fact that all significant
cases work just fine.

BTW, the URI specification already includes the paragraph you mention,
since this is a URI reference issue and not an HTTP decision.

....Roy