httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Accept-Encoding - the saga continues (fwd)
Date Tue, 17 Feb 1998 06:16:59 GMT
>I WANT TO SHOOT WHOMEVER CREATED THIS STUPID X- "CONVENTION"!!

Join the crowd.  The amazing thing is that every six months or so
I have to explain to some IETFer why it is so utterly stupid, just
so it won't be added to yet another spec.

>Anyway, this to me sounds like a case for a BrowserMatch, so I've added
>such a beast to the patch. Usage:
>
>BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\." strip-ce-header
>
>If strip-ce-header set, the fixup handler will remove any Content-Encoding
>header that might have been set. Note that I'm not sure exactly which
>versions of MSIE exhibit this problem. Also, I think this should be put in
>the known_client_problems page, and not as a part of the default srm.conf .

Nope, -1 on this part.  There is never going to be a browser bug which
is so bad that it forces Apache to knowingly send the wrong HTTP fields.
If the C-E is removed, the Content-Type must be changed.

....Roy