httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Wed, 04 Feb 1998 22:41:58 GMT
>Not that it matters, but something like this would be very, very easy
>with Configure as well. If ./configure can do something then we can
>make ./Configure do it as well. The "advantage" to Configure, imo,
>is that it does only what we want and only how we want it done,
>without the extra baggage and "I know best" mode of autoconf.

And the disadvantage is that it does only what we think we want and
only on systems that we already know how we want it done, and isn't
smart enough to figure out basic discrepancies between system builds
and available utility programs.

>There's nothing wrong with reinventing the wheel, if what you are after
>is a faster, leaner and more specialized wheel. :/

If that is what we are getting, I'd agree.  It isn't.  Configure is
slower, bigger, harder to use for 99% of the systems that compile Apache,
and has less than 1/100th the programming effort being devoted to it
in order to improve its behavior on obscure platforms or strange
configurations.  We just can't compete with that level of progress,
nor should we.

....Roy