httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: apache/linux modules
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:17:46 GMT
automake/autoconf is a programming language for building and
maintaining standardized configuration programs.  To say that
any particular ./configure program has too many options is
equivalent to saying we shouldn't use perl because the wwwstat
program has too many command-line options.

automake/autoconf works by combining sets of macros into a
configure.in-based script that uses those macros to do work,
namely generate a hierarchy of Makefile and the equivalent of conf.h
so that you can then compile the system.  We can write our own macros,
use the supplied macros, or both --- there is absolutely NOTHING Configure
can do that automake/autoconf can't duplicate EXACTLY, even reading in
a Configuration.tmpl to start, though in several instances we would be
better off doing things the way other configure scripts work just to
maintain consistency.

Saying that you don't like configure because of the way some other
system did their macros, or saying that you had problems with it
several years ago, is saying nothing.  As far as I'm concerned, you
can't have a reasonable opinion regarding automake/autoconf unless
you have used them within the past year to create your own configure.

Yes, we could continue hacking on Configure every time a new problem
comes up, and maybe we could even add more of the smart compilation
checks, but the fact of the matter is that we will always be lagging
behind the same improvements that a hundred other projects are making
to automake/autoconf, and continue getting bug reports from people
who are trying to compile on MYOS version 3.1 and we only support 3.2.

....Roy