httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: apache-2.0 now clean
Date Tue, 03 Feb 1998 00:33:08 GMT
>Personally, I would rather have the "shared information space" be
>apache-devsite rather than apache-2.0.  Really.  I don't like the
>idea of cluttering the to-be development area with plans and
>discussions.  We have an area for project plans and what-not;
>let's use that.  Please.

We want to open up the avail on the 2.0 repository so that more
people can play even if they don't have write access to our other
repositories.  The "plans" I am referring to will morph into the
system design documentation for 2.0, and that had better damn well
be in the code repository or it won't be used (just as the current
"project plans" in devsite are never used).

The only thing that has become obvious in all of these discussions
is that we are worlds apart in each of our individual views of what
should be done in 2.0.  Alexei and Marc think we only need some API
changes and buff code, but that's because they haven't spent the past
few years delaying HTTP fixes until a core rewrite can be done.
Dean has a good plan for core process model abstraction, but no time
to implement it; if he could just commit the design NOW so that we
can all play with it, maybe one of the newbies will step forward and
start turning it into a reality.  The same goes for Ralf's projects,
the autoconf stuff, and a whole host of other things that have been
waiting for a clean break from 1.x.

This isn't clutter -- it is basic software engineering.

....Roy