httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Tatarinov <tatar...@prairie.NoDak.edu>
Subject Re: what is server side javascript?
Date Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:17:36 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > Server side javascript is just what it sounds like; JavaScript on the
> > server side. It's supported by some of the Netscape servers, I think. I
> > think it's sort of like writing ASP with JScript as the script engine
> > instead of Visual Basic (which ASP lets you do). But I might be wrong.
>
> Erm.  Ok.  I'm waiting for them to come up with router-side Javascript.
> "save CPU cycles by offloading your Javascript onto all the overpowered,
> underused router CPUs between the server and the client!  Speeds up

It may sound funny but this is a hot area of research right now :) It's
called active networking. I don't believe in it myself but there are
several projects (a lab at MIT, etc) on that. I especially like their
example of how active networks could help the Web: they propose Web
proxies within network routers!

There are some more realistic examples though, e.g., application-
controled congestion avoidance. Before sending data, apps inject
their own "packet droppers" that would for example drop an entire
video frame if one packet has been lost.

igor