httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: absoluteURIs suck
Date Fri, 20 Feb 1998 23:34:13 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I really don't understand the lameness regarding absoluteURIs in HTTP/1.1.
> Suppose HTTP/1.2 comes out and dictates that absoluteURIs must be used for
> all requests (this is hinted at in RFC2068).  In order to interoperate
> with HTTP/1.1 servers all HTTP/1.2 clients will have to also include Host:
> headers.  This is a waste of bandwidth having to include the hostname
> twice.

All I remember from the WG discussions is that this was considered to be
a good idea, if not strictly necessary. If pushed, I could probably
remember why. I have a vague memory that Alexei had a fair amount to say
on the subject.

Actually, I have a nasty suspicion that there is no good reason to
require this.

Cheers,

Ben.