httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:23:59 GMT
Sam Robb wrote:
> > If you can effectively wrap a C++ API in a C API then what is the
> point of
> > the C++ API?
> >
> > (yea, yea, to allow you to do things cleaner, to make it easier to do
> > things, etc. but... you can't do much in that regard without making
> the C
> > API crippled)
> I'd think "to allow you to do things cleaner, to make
> it easier to do things" would be enough of a reason :-)

> Really, though, the C API *might* be limited in comparison
> to the C++ API - but there's no real need for it to be.
> One possibility is having API functions that return
> opaque pointers to C++ objects, that get passed back into
> wrapper functions... pretty much the same state the code
> is in today.

Which is precisely what I usually do when wrapping C++ with C.

> The other option is to have a C++ API built on top of
> the "standard" C API that enforces additional constraints,
> provides additional features, etc.

Not so cool, though.

> BTW - Ben, have you had a chance to play around with a
> C++ verison yet?

I haven't had a chance to play with _most_ of the things on my "play
with this" list yet :-) In short, no. Anyone else who wants to play,
please don't be shy!

Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|
and Technical Director|Email: |Apache-SSL author
A.L. Digital Ltd,     |
London, England.      |"Apache: TDG"

View raw message