httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: W3C <-> Apache
Date Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:39:45 GMT
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> At 11:25 2/10/98 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> >The general problem is that "The Apache Group" operates by a principle
> >of public disclosure of every technical discussion and decision ever made.
>
> That is a bold statement - all W3C results are indeed also made public -
> otherwise we would be sued on anti-trust grounds. But don't tell me that
> all discussions are taken based on public input and consensus.

These are not the same thing at all.  Roy is talking about public discussion,
while you mention public results.  One puts the public into a contributory
position, in front of the power curve as it were, and the other treats
the public strictly as a consumer.

Neither the AG nor the W3C operations are so black and white in process,
but I think the distinction is worth making.  I'm not passing any
sort of judgment on either model.

#ken	P-)}