httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: W3C <-> Apache
Date Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:34:05 GMT
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> I suggest that instead of throwing a lot of big (and largely meaningless)
> words at each other, I think we should work on how to proceed. This
> requires, however, that we start using a more constructive tone instead of
> calling each other for shit heads.

Sounds good to me.  Remember that's how you should interpret my
remarks below..

> As I said, I would very much like to get more input from the Apache group -
> I do need people who can do real work. I have made the conditions clear so
> here you go - it's up to you!

Maybe it isn't obvious, and maybe it's just my opinion - but I should
think that the group responsible for designing HTTP-NG would do well
to *solicit* input from the group responsible for producing the most
popular Web server on the planet.  Instead, we sort of get into this
discussion by accident, and what I'm seeing could easily be construed
as "here are the rules: give us 50% of your time or don't expect us
to take you seriously."

That doesn't sound like a collaboration; it sounds positively
adversarial and elitist.  I doubt that's the intent at all, but I
wanted you to know how it could be interpreted.

I think it incredibly unlikely (less than 0.05 probability) that anyone
in The Apache Group can dedicate 50% of their time to HTTP-NG.  Is there
any hope of equivalency?  You know, "BsC *or* 5 years experience
required"?  We have the experience (well, as a group); can't that
be taken in lieu of dedicated time in terms of measuring impact?

#ken	P-)}